The Board of Directors will:
- Encourage and ensure through training Health & Safety awareness
- Recognise its responsibilities and duties
- Monitor all its endeavours to ensure good and safe practice.
It is the intention of the Board of Directors that anyone involved in any CCT activity, in particular each director, volunteer driver and assistant will make every effort to ensure the health and safety of all individuals, groups and the general public at large. This duty of care is not delegated to any particular individual but is the responsibility of all.
The Board of Directors has established a clear set of policies and guidelines for drivers and assistants which are regularly updated and drawn to the attention of all. Rigorous initial training through MIDAS and regular updating highlights all Health and Safety concerns and reminds drivers to always be mindful of any risks.
All personnel are required to take responsibility for identifying and dealing with:
- All obvious risk areas and areas where there is a foreseeable source of danger
- How to control the hazards that exist
- Inadequacies in existing procedures
- Local conditions and circumstances
- Existing practices, informal rules and customs and the attitudes and behaviour of all concerned
- Specific instructions issued by manufacturers and suppliers of equipment and materials, so that recommended methods of use are complied with.
Risk management information and guidelines are disseminated to every driver via MIDAS training, the CCT website Drivers’ Guidelines and Incident Procedures and in hard copy in the Drivers’ Folder on the bus including:
- Codes of Conduct (including consumption of alcohol)
- Rules regarding driver fatigue
- Legislation on mini-bus driving and for volunteer drivers
- Procedures in preparation for driving and safety checks
- Disability awareness
- Procedures in the event of road traffic accidents, untoward incidents and vehicle breakdown, fire, ill health and emergency first aid.
Day to day operations will be:
- Monitored by all individuals as part of every activity
- Implemented by motivating all concerned and by providing safety training
- Reported to and recorded by the Board of Trustees